Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Professional Conduct
The Ontario Association of Sign Language Interpreters (OASLI) is an affiliate chapter of the Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Canada (AVLIC), the national association. OASLI members are also AVLIC members. OASLI/AVLIC members are required to abide by AVLIC's Code of Ethics and follow the Guidelines for Professional Conduct as a condition of membership.
The purpose of the Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Professional Conduct is to
- provide guidance for interpreters
- ensure quality of service for all persons involved.
Values Underlying the Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Professional Conduct
- Professional Accountability - accepting responsibility for professional decisions and actions
- Professional Competence - committing to provide quality professional service throughout one's practice
- Non-discrimination - approaching professional service with respect and cultural sensitivity
- Integrity in Professional Relationships - dealing honestly and fairly with consumers and colleagues
- Integrity in Business Practices - dealing honestly and ethically in all business practices
For a complete version of the Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Professional Conduct, please visit AVLIC's Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Professional Conduct
If you require assistance in resolving an issue with an interpreter, please see Dispute Resolution Process for more information.
Visit Accreditation and Employer Screenings for more information on interpreter qualifications and screenings.